This time last year, Labor Day to be exact, my wife and I found out we were pregnant with our son! The picture above is of the actual tests we used, how cool is that?!?
Anyway, this is the story of when I found out I was going to be a father and how it changed my life, forever!
It was Labor Day weekend 2016 and my wife and I had been married for just 6 weeks. We had been trying to get pregnant since our wedding night. We had just spent the weekend back in my home state of Illinois celebrating out recent nuptials with my family and those who weren’t able to make the wedding. Heading into the weekend we knew there was a chance we could be pregnant but we honestly weren’t thinking about it much.
That was until Labor Day morning when my wife woke up feeling nauseous and queasy and we thought…maybe we are pregnant!?!
As we drove home later that morning my wife became more nauseous and at the same time our excitement grew. The more we talked about it the more we convinced ourselves we had to be pregnant. After what seemed like the longest 6 hours ever, we finally made it home! We dropped our stuff in the kitchen and rushed upstairs to take the pregnancy test. As my wife grabbed the test and prepared to do her “business”, I read the instructions so we would know what we were looking at.
After my wife did her “business” we hid the test under a hat so we could see the results together as a surprise. We waited what felt like the longest two minutes of our lives, saying little and holding hands on the bed. When two minutes finally passed we anxiously pulled back the hat and in a split second we were pregnant! Not literally of course, my wife had been pregnant for about 5 weeks, but our state of knowing had changed in a split second.
From that moment on, everything changed. We embraced harder than we ever had before, tears of joy running down our faces. Words can’t even describe the feeling. Looking back, words like joy, excitement, pride and the like don’t even begin to do justice to what we felt that day. Something changed inside me that day, for the better I might add, and I haven’t been the same since.
How I felt about myself changed…
From that moment on I was a different man, seeing myself in a brand new light almost immediately.
- First off, I had never felt more like a man in my entire life. I was able to uphold my end of the mating bargain and impregnate my wife. For lack of a better way to describe the feeling, it felt manly!
- But at the same time, I was more emotional than I had ever been. One morning I found myself watching a SportCenter segment on the Make-a-Wish foundation and all the sweet things these pro athletes were doing for sick kids. By the end of it I was an emotional, teary-eyed mess! In all honesty, I’ve been more prone to getting misty-eyed ever since.
- My sense of responsibility also skyrocketed. I was going to be a father, my wife is pregnant, and it’s my job to take care of them. All of the sudden I was acutely aware of the speed limit and much more likely to wonder why the person next to me was driving like a crazy person!
- Lastly, my role as our family’s main provider became even more elevated in my own mind. I found myself more focused at work and even more conscious of our saving and spending habits. Providing stability and being the rock for my family was my top priority!
I felt like a father from day one…
According to many books, blogs, and websites it is not uncommon for a lot of men to not feel like a father until months after their child is born. For me, I felt like a father immediately. From when our baby was the size of a poppy-seed to the day he was born and every moment since then.
I felt every feeling of fear, excitement, and anticipation during those 9 months of pregnancy. Every single appointment and ultra-sound, I was there. The first time we heard his heartbeat, I cried. Every single ultra-sound, I cried. Every night before bed I would read to my wife’s stomach, in hopes my son would know my voice when he was born. I was all in from day one.
For any expectant fathers out there, I cannot recommend enough involving yourself in everything right from the beginning. By the time your baby is born you’ll be so far into “dad-mode” your wife and everyone else will think you’re a natural, even if you are scared to death!
Far surpassed my wildest dreams…
I could have never imagined how profound an impact that day would have on my life. It will always mark a significant moment in my life. Below are just a handful of impacts I still feel today.
- Having been married for only six weeks it was hard to imagine something could surpass the magic of our wedding day, especially so quickly. Finding out we were pregnant dwarfed anything I had experienced to that point in my life.
- Until that point I had never felt closer to my wife. My partner forever, the woman I love, we had created a child together. We were beyond thrilled that we got to travel this journey called parenthood together and have only grown closer since.
- It also increased my need to plan for the future, which my wife will tell you was already quite high. Where should we live? How should we save for college? How do we fit having a child into our budget? The list of questions went on and on, and they never have stopped to be honest.
Since that day…
Well first off, it’s been the best year of my life. My wife and I have grown closer than I ever could have imagined. Being a dad is absolutely the best thing ever!
Now we have a four-month old baby boy who is the light of our life and teaches us something new every day. Labor Day 2016 was the start of the best and most important of my life, fatherhood.
I look forward to sharing the moments along this journey so far and those still to come, as I build this blog.
How did you feel when you found out you were going to be a father? How did it change you?
Thanks for stopping by!